Copyright (c) 2010 William Pitcock firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unlimited redistribution and modification of this document is allowed provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice remains in tact.
The account-notify client capability allows a client to be notified when another client's accountname changes. This capability MUST be referred to as 'account-notify' at capability negotiation time.
When enabled, clients will get the ACCOUNT message to designate the accountname changes for clients on common channels with them.
The ACCOUNT message is one of the following:
:nick!user@host ACCOUNT accountname
This message represents that the user identified by nick!user@host has logged into a new account. The last parameter is the display name of that account.
:nick!user@host ACCOUNT *
This message represents that the user identified by nick!user@host has logged out of their account. As the last parameter is an asterisk, this means that an asterisk is not a valid account name (which it is not in P10 or TS6 or ESVID).
In order to take full advantage of the ACCOUNT message, WHOX must be supported by the ircd. In this case, the appropriate strategy to ensuring you always have the accountname to display is to do the following:
1) Enable the account-notify capability at capability negotiation time during the login handshake.
2) When joining a channel, query the channel using WHO and ensure that you include the 'a' format token in your WHOX token request. When you get a reply, do appropriate caching.
3) If the extended-join capability is available, enable it at client capability negotiation time during the login handshake, and then set the accountname based on what is sent in the extended JOIN command.
Otherwise, if extended-join is unavailable: When new users join a channel that your client does not know the accountname for yet, do a WHO query against that client, again including the 'a' format token in your WHOX token request field. When you get a reply, do appropriate caching.
4) In the event of a netsplit, the client should query the channel again using WHO with the 'a' format token in the WHOX request field.
5) When the client receives an ACCOUNT message, update the accountname for the client in question in your accountname cache.
|home > extensions > account-notify-3.1|